Saturday, December 28, 2013

Obed Marsh from Lovecraft's The Shadow Over Innsmouth



Obed Marsh from The Shadow Over Innsmouth. 

As I was finishing this I decided to google Obed Marsh and found the majority of them unintentionally comical, most notably because the vast majority of the renderings of him are as a fishy or tentacled mariner--this even though in the story he is entirely human, and in fact was reluctant to interbreed with the creatures (the only way descendant humans in the story can actually get the "innsmouth look") from the nether regions. 

I genuinely wonder if people actually read Lovecraft's work or they just Sparknotes them instead. I am tempted to comment to these artists about this, but they'd just as likely use the defense mechanism that, "this is just my interpretation," or some such nonsense... 

I based the houses on those of historic Newburyport, MA, which was Lovecraft's primary inspiration for Innsmouth.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. As you said, it's one of the very few non-comical presentations you can find online.

    Obed was supposed to be half south-sea islander. Do you have a sketch that incorporates that as well?

    Again, great job!

    ReplyDelete