Sunday, January 19, 2014

HP Lovecraft's Dylath-Leen

A port city from Lovecraft's The Dream-quest of Unknown Kadath. In the short novel the city buildings are loosely described as being made of black basalt and being angular and looking somewhat similar to the stones from The Giant's Causeway. Also it's supposed to be a very unpleasant place to be, so I gave little points and edges to the designs of some of the buildings, as well as giving most of the lighting an unnatural glow, to give that feeling. This is the first painting I plan to do of Dylath-Leen, with the other one being from far above and will be a rendering of the entire city-scape--not fun but certainly worth doing it. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much!

      Yeah I wanted this to be pretty inhospitable, as Dylath-Leen is quite uninviting in the story. This was a watershed piece for me, being that it was my first serious attempt at rendering one of the cities Lovecraft's Dreamland, though it will not be my last. I've been meaning to paint a panoramic landscape of Dylath-Leen, (similar to my Polaris-city painting, only on a far larger scale) I've just been procrastinating starting it because it'll mean painting maybe a hundred buildings, if not more.

      Thanks again for the complements!

      Delete