Sunday, February 16, 2014

Lovecrafts Ghouls and Ward/Curwen character designs


One of Lovecraft's Ghouls. This felt really nostalgic, as when I was a kid I would read Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, adoring the gothic artwork by Stephen Gammell, even though I didn't know at that time what gothic was, and would draw monsters and tombstones over and over again, so this really felt like coming home. 

Spurred by a curious person, I decided this week to work on character designs of Joseph Curwen and Charles Dexter Ward from Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. 

Sometimes what the writer blithely describes on the page can be difficult or, in some cases, even impossible to actually visualize successfully, and I soon realized while trying to render Charles Dexter Ward and Joseph Curwen, two characters who were supposed to look almost exactly alike, even though the former was in his mid-twenties and the latter looked well into his middle-age, that it would be problematic to translate the work on the page. Even more problematic was the fact that, when I really thought about it, the image I always had in my head of Joseph Curwen and the image always had of Ward were actually completely different from each other, so trying to find the right look between the two while also battling my own original, entirely divergent, interpretations was not easy. The ones on the bottom are close (I think) to the final version I'm going to create for Ward/Curwen, though I may re-render Curwen's colonial hair-do.

5 comments:

  1. That has to be one of the most freaking terrifying ghouls I have ever seen in my life. Stephen Gammell would be proud to say that this was inspired by his work.

    BRIAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow thanks so much for the complements! That's probably the nicest thing anyone's ever said about my artwork. :D

      I hope to eventually paint a series of works on the subjects of the Ghouls, as they're certainly overlooked by most artists.

      Thanks again for the complements and the support!

      Delete
    2. You are most welcome! I really admire the art on this site. I do mean it when I say that Stephen Gammell would be proud - what you did was a powerful piece! I love the art on this site for it's creepy feel! It makes me shiver! I will continue to comment on this site because it keeps drawing me back again and again with it's art!

      I am just twelve years old, and am already attempting to make a full-length film based on "The Dreams in the Witch House." I have succeeded and have even got the rights to use music from "Dreams in the Witch House - A Lovecraftian Rock Opera" (witchhouserocks.com)! We are looking for some poster art...perhaps we could discuss something? I just admire your work so much and would be incredibly honored to use some of it in our movie! If you agree, please contact me at brianoconnellnyc@gmail.com.

      In any case, you are one of the most talented artists to ever tackle Lovecraft and I look forward to more art!

      BRIAN

      Delete
    3. Sorry I've been away from my computer for a few days. Yeah that would be great, let me know what you want and I'm sure we can work something out. And thanks so so very much for compliments and the best of luck on the film!

      Delete