Friday, February 28, 2014

Polaris illustrations and Eryx concepts


This is something I've been working on for some time. I enjoy the fact Polaris, a rather brief story by Lovecraft, both defines the parameters of his own Dreamland literary phase and universe, but also heralds the later greater works of JRR Tolkien and Robert E Howard.

I wanted the soldiers' armor to be relatively simplified, without mail and, aside from their helmets, without actual plate armor--I based the helm, greaves and brigandine skirt on ancient Gallic-Celtic warriors. I also fashioned the architecture primarily after Greco-Roman architecture, which I think would probably be considered by Lovecraft, a self-proclaimed Greco-phile, to be the most noble architecture of the ancient world. 

This, like my "Eryx" work, is a work in progress, and for which I'll continue to work on and explore as time goes by. 

How the faux-cover would look if real, with the spine in the center. 

The full painting. 

The temple of Nodens?


Also, I did these rather quick and loose (for what I'm used to) environmental concepts inspired by Lovecraft's In the Walls of Eryx, exploring both different environments and different color pallets. I did these last week but didn't feel them substantial enough to post on their own. 



No comments:

Post a Comment