Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lovecraft's The Picture of Joseph Curwen

Whenever I originally considered creating an artbook illustrating Lovecraft's world, I always thought it would be cool to paint Joseph Curwen for the book as the painting of himself that was rendered by Cosmo Alexander in that archaic style of his. Now it's so great to finally see this idea come to fruition, though I didn't actually relish the idea of executing it.

"It was meanwhile seen that the subject was a spare, well-shaped man with dark-blue coat, embroidered waistcoat, black satin small-clothes, and white silk stockings, seated in a carved chair against the background of a window with wharves and ships beyond. When the head came out it was observed to bear a neat Albemarle wig, and to possess a thin, calm, undistinguished face which seemed somehow familiar to both Ward and the artist." - The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

I couldn't find anything on the internet as to what exactly an "Albermarle" wig was, so I rendered him with something I thought suitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment