Thursday, March 27, 2014

Sketches: Ulthar-architecture and Brown Jenkin

I'm really digging doing sketches on my new (used) ipad 3 using the Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus, which is greatly freeing me to sketch digitally and to make artwork beyond my PC--both this blog post and these sketches were all created and posted without my PC, which is a first for me. I'm going to try to complete a finished painting (the high house in the mist) on my ipad for the first time before the week's out. 


I love the idea of quaint Ulthar and plan to do more than a few renditions of it in the future. Though the majority of the Dreamland world is based primary on Greco-Arabian stylings, from Lovecraft's description from Dream-quest I got the sense that he was writing more from the perspective of an English homely village. On the other hand, if this were entirely the case then why didn't Kuranes try to live there? Maybe Lovecraft was maybe thinking of it being more bizarre than I'm thinking--or perhaps he just wrote the story as a first draft and didn't think it through all the way...

Brown Jenkin. 


This is definitely one I'm going to have to work on more in the future. As much as the character/creature from Witch House certainly comes off as creepy, trying to translate that visually is certainly a big challenge for me. I don't think Lovecraft gave a detailed description if his facial features (may need to go back and listen to the audio version to make sure...) so I've been thinking that maybe he somehow took the face of a victim, shrunk it down and then somehow magically affixed it to his own face. It's creepy but I'm not entirely sold so I thought I'd work on some other versions, though I'm not satisfied with any of those either. If all else fails I'm sure I can do better than Gordon's version of the creature for his adaptation of the story. 

4 comments:

  1. "The Dreams in the Witch House" is my favorite Lovecraft story. And you don't give yourself enough credit! Brown Jenkin is looking good! For such a tough character to illustrate, you've done great!

    BRIAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Kuranes wasn't a cat person?

    I like the slightly off-beat architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I never thought of that!

      And thanks for the complement about the architecture, though this was just more or less for exploratory usage, though the eventual painting of Ulthar will have definite germs of this in it. I plan on blending rural traditional English architecture (9th-16th century) with bits of traditional (7th-8th century) Muslim architecture--as if there was a magically permanent portal between the two places and time periods where the buildings showed near-equal influences from both. That way it feels both homely but not so familiar that it feels like it was transplanted from some time period in our world.

      Thanks again for the interest!

      Delete
  3. Oh, and by the way, the story says that Brown Jenkin's face looks similar to Keziah's.

    ReplyDelete