Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Sketches: The Unaussprechlichen Kulten, High House in the Mist and Night Gaunts

Some loose sketches of the Unaussprechlichen Kulten for my illustration of it, mainly thinking about how I want the light play off it. I have three different books I have to paint for the Lovecraftian artbook--The Unaussprechlichen Kulten, The Book of Eibon and the Necronomicon--and need to find unique ways to tell them apart from each other without resorting to cheap gags like silly skin-covers and eye-balls staring out at the viewer. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, and ones mind-you that still reside within the context of what Lovecraft described, let me know. 

A very loose sketch of The High House in the Mist. Frankly I knew going in, even before I formed my complete list of works to paint, that this one would actually be the easiest of the environments to render; it's basically a distant house on the edge of a cliff with fog and clouds and shrubbery around it, which is not what I'd define as a challenging image to create. I always start the concepts for my paintings as crappy looking as possible--just the simplest of shapes and the laying out of light and dark--and this is obviously no exception (as are the above sketches) though I am going to go back to the drawing board (ie ipad) and think of something a bit stronger I think... 


And another cruddy sketch for the eventual rendering of the night-gaunts. I'll come back to these crazy devils before I do the actual finished piece to work on the designs of their physical features and such. 


No comments:

Post a Comment